With over 4.76 billion users across different platforms worldwide, social media makes it possible for content creators to reach a truly massive audience.1
However, with that vast audience comes an obstacle: An equally vast sea of content being shared across social media platforms every minute of the day. So, how can you make your content stand out from the rest?
The key is a well-crafted social media content creation strategy. In this guide, we’ll take you through the process of social media content creation from beginning to end—we’ll break down the elements of engaging content, explore what it means to craft a content strategy, and share tips for effective content creation.
What Is Social Media Content Creation?
Social media content creation is the process of creating, publishing, and sharing content on social media platforms to engage with your target audience. The primary goals of social media content creation include:
- Connecting and engaging with your audience
- Building your brand
- Driving traffic to your website
- Promoting a product or service
The Importance of Social Media Content Creation
Posting on social media helps you create a deeper connection between your brand and your potential customers. Well-crafted content can help you:
- Find your fans – Traditionally, one of the biggest challenges for any new social media content creator is getting their work in front of an audience. Social media provides an incredible opportunity to bypass gatekeepers and let potential fans hear your unique voice directly from you.
- Build brand awareness – When you have a successful social media strategy, you can efficiently and inexpensively reach a broad audience. Easily customize your messages or content to appeal to specific groups of people with different interests to increase brand visibility.
- Engage with your target audience – Remember that social media helps facilitate interactive communication. It allows you to build a relationship with your audience in real-time, something traditional advertising can’t do. By creating content that sparks conversations, you can encourage your audience to connect, share their thoughts and opinions, and form a deeper relationship with you and your work.
Types of Social Media Content Creation
Social media content comes in an almost endless variety of forms, but it typically falls into four main categories:
- Image-based content – This can include photos, illustrations, infographics, comics, and memes. Popular image-based platforms include Instagram and Pinterest.
- Video content – Videos have grown in popularity in recent years and are extremely engaging for a variety of purposes. They can include live broadcasts, product demonstrations, interviews, comedic sketches, behind-the-scenes content, and a variety of other possibilities. Platforms that are the best for all things video today include Youtube, Vimeo, TikTok, and IGTV.
- Text-based content – Written content includes long-form articles or entries, and short-form content such as quotes or jokes. Some examples include platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Audio-based content – This covers podcasts, music, and voice recordings. Apps such as Clubhouse and Spotify are great examples of audio-based content.
The majority of content combines two or more formats, such as images with some text or video with audio components. For brand safety, just be sure that any content you post adheres to the content moderation guidelines of the platform you’re using.
Elements of Engaging Social Media Content
Engaging social media content captures your audience’s attention, stops the scroll, and encourages interaction. Learning how to make effective content can take time and experimentation, but it all starts with three basic building blocks:
#1. Visuals and Graphics
Visual content is the heart of most social media platforms. As you probably know from your own experience, a wall of text is a surefire way to lose a viewer’s attention. No matter what kind of content you create, it’s essential to include visual elements to capture audience attention and stand out in a crowded social media space.
You can use images and graphics to:
- Break up text
- Highlight important points
- Emphasize your brand’s style and tone
#2. Captions and Headlines
While images are vital for catching attention quickly, headlines and captions are crucial for holding attention. A punchy caption or headline hooks your audience and makes them want to know more about you and your brand.
Effective captions and headlines are:
- Aligned with your brand’s voice
#3. Tone and Voice
The voice of your social media content plays a significant role in how your brand is perceived. Consider the type of audience you want to appeal to and the voice that’s most likely to be effective. A casual or humorous tone can be highly effective, but context is important.
For instance, imagine a law firm that specializes in corporate law using an irreverent or edgy voice on their social media platforms. It could get attention—but it could also undermine the professionalism and authority expected of a law firm.
Whether your brand voice is playful, serious, or informative, make sure it’s consistent across all your social media channels.
Crafting a Social Media Content Strategy
It’s not enough just to create interesting content and hit the post button. Even the most creative, exciting, and one-of-a-kind content can get lost in the infinite universe of content if it’s not shared strategically.
That might sound daunting, but a few simple techniques can help you create a winning content strategy.
#1. Define Your Target Audience
The first step of planning your content strategy is defining your target audience. Marketers recommend analyzing two key aspects of your audience:2
- Demographics – These are measurable, objective data points, like age, gender, economic status, geographic location, and so on.
- Psychographics – These include less measurable qualities like personality traits, interests, beliefs, values, and lifestyle.
Considering your audience’s demographics, interests, and pain points can help you create content that resonates with them and encourages them to engage.
#2. Define Your Goal
Every effective content marketing campaign should begin with a clear goal in mind. If you don’t know what you’re shooting for, it’s impossible to measure the success of your strategy.
Some goals might include:2
- Increased website traffic
- Higher levels of engagement (likes, follows, shares)
- More app downloads
- Higher conversions
- More views
#3. Identify Your Brand Voice and Style
Think of voice and style as your brand’s personality. If you’re having trouble pinning this down, try brainstorming three words to describe your brand, like Quirky, Smart, Confident or Knowledgeable, Relatable, Warm.
Remember to consider your audience and what will be relatable to them—but be sure the voice you choose feels authentic to you, too.
#4. Develop a Content Calendar
A content calendar is a schedule of the content you plan to publish on your social media channels. Developing a content calendar serves three purposes:
- It encourages you to plan out your content in advance
- It helps you stay organized
- It ensures a consistent flow of content across all your channels
Tips for Effective Social Media Content Creation
Creating effective social media content requires a combination of creativity and strategy. Here are some tips to get you going:
- Keep up with trends and news – Staying up to date with the latest developments in your industry can help you create content that’s timely, relevant, and engaging for your audience. Keep an eye on social media trends, hashtags, and news in your field to stay ahead of the curve.
- Encourage user-generated content – User-generated content (UGC) is content created by your audience that features your brand or product. Encouraging UGC can help you build a sense of community and provide valuable social proof for your products or services. You might try asking your followers to take a photo wearing your merch or share fanart inspired by your work.
- Measure and analyze performance – Analyzing data on your social media performance is the best way to understand what resonates with your audience and adjust your strategy accordingly. You can use social media analytics tools to track engagement, reach, and other key performance metrics depending on the social media platform.
Tools and Resources for Social Media Content Creation
Luckily, you don’t have to be an expert marketer to create engaging social media content. Numerous tools are available to help you execute an effective social media content strategy on your own. Here are a few tools and resources, many of them free or inexpensive:
Graphic Design Tools and Templates
Canva and Adobe Spark are two popular graphic design platforms that offer a range of templates and design tools that make it easy to create eye-catching social media graphics and visuals. Both have a user-friendly interface that allows users to drag-and-drop elements, add text, and customize designs to fit their brand’s style and message.
Content Management and Scheduling Platforms
Coordinating social media content across multiple channels can be a time-consuming and overwhelming task. Digital content management platforms streamline the process so you can control multiple channels in one place. Some popular options include:
- Sprout Social
Stock Images and Video Libraries
High-quality visuals are crucial for creating a polished look for your brand. Stock image libraries can make professional-quality images and video clips accessible for digital content creators at every level. Some popular options for this include:
- Adobe Stock
Users can search for images and videos using keywords, filters, and categories, including paid and free stock. Just be sure to check the license for each piece you use, and make sure your use is compliant.
Next Steps for Successful Social Media Content Creation
Now that you have the knowledge, it’s time to take action. Start (or re-start) your content creation strategy by:
- Getting a clear view of your target audience—their needs, behaviors, and what resonates with them
- Defining your brand voice
- Outlining goals for your content
- Constructing an organized content calendar
Successful Video Content Lives on Curastory
Creating engaging social media content takes time, effort, and strategy—but it’s also your opportunity to reach a worldwide audience. Fortunately, successful social content creation is easier than ever thanks to the many tools and resources available.
Speaking of resources, if you’re a video content creator who’s ready to connect with a wider audience, Curastory is here to help.
Curastory is a content creation platform that connects the dots between video creators, brand partners, and audiences, so you can monetize your social media content more easily and reach new viewers more effectively. Plus, our user-friendly platform puts editing, invoicing, and sharing all in one place, so you can simplify the content marketing process and get back to reating faster.
Find success in social media content creation with Curastory.
- Data Reportal. Global social media statistics. https://datareportal.com/social-media-users
- Inc. How to create great content: A step-by-step guide to content marketing https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-to-create-great-content-a-step-by-step-guide-to-content-marketing-that-delivers-real-results.html